Saturday, February 27, 2010

I quickly snapped out of it

Today was going to be a BIG day.

I was going to get my braces off.

This day has been on my calendar for weeks. As it got closer and closer, I got more and more excited. I was telling everyone - roomies, friends, family, the college students, facebook, etc.

February 27, 2010.

After a year and a half, they were finally coming off.

Last night I had a hard time sleeping. I just couldn't wait! Get these silver grillz off my flippin' teeth! I'll be able to eat whatever I want. It will only take 1 minute to floss instead of 15. I won't have to deal with rubberbands, brackets breaking, or wax for the wires poking into the inside of my cheeks. I will finally be able to smile and not feel self-conscious. I will look 20 instead of 14 (hey, any bit helps, ya know?)

After sleeping off and on, I finally woke up this morning and got ready. I drove to the office, all giddy inside. I said hi to everyone, sat in the chair, and my orthodontist came over to cheek everything out. I saw my retainers sitting on the tray next to me. This is really happening! Wheeee!

But then I hear him say, "Hmmmm."

Never a good thing to hear your ortho say.

Him: "Sarah, have you been wearing your rubberbands these past few months?"

Me: "No. You told me to stop."

Him: "Hmmm."

Me: (oh crap)

Him: "Well, one side of your mouth is perfect. Look in this mirror here. See how your teeth come down on top of each other so well? Now look at the other side. See how they are not fully brought together like they should be?"

Me: (dread creeping in)

Him: "Well, we can do one of two things. We take your braces off now and hope those teeth come down on each other properly. Or we can wait 3 more weeks and have you wear rubberbands on that side to do the job."

Obviously I chose the latter. In the grand scheme of things, I've had these on for 18 months. 3 more weeks won't kill me. And I want it to be ALL done so I never have to deal with this stuff again. But I was so sad. I had been expecting, hoping, waiting, I was ready! It's almost like a kid who can't sleep the night before Christmas because they're so excited and then they wake up Christmas morning and run into the living room and are told sorry, but Christmas has been pushed back 3 weeks.

It sounds silly but I got into my car and started crying. I was just really disappointed.

But then I got home and heard about an 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile.

I quickly snapped out of it.

My worries and cares are so trivial compared to what is going on in the world. I think I needed to remember that. I'm off to pray for the people of Chile.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Agh! Well, you're right. In the grand scheme of things, 3 more weeks will be a cinch. And think of how much more you'll want to celebrate!

New Branch said...

oh sis i am so sorry! that sucks! about chile and about your braces!