Sunday, February 26, 2006

Three problems



Yesterday myself, my boss Charlie, his admin Michelle, and the two high school associates (Clint and Erica) all headed over the hill to The CORE - a half day of training for youth workers put on by Youth Specialties. But here's Problem #1: we are youth workers. We stay up late hanging out with students. So we like to sleep in. Especially on Saturdays. When did we have to get up yesterday, which indeed was a Saturday? 7 am.

Some of you are probably like, "Awh, get over it, Sarah! I get up at 7 am every weekday!" True true true and I admire you greatly for it. When I was in education I got up early every day, too. But my life has shifted into youth ministry life, so my time clock has changed. And I really love sleeping in until 8 or even 9 if I can get away with it.

Back to the story: we're all squished in this little car, yawning and grumbling all the way over the hill about how early it. (But it's definitely for a good cause. I was really looking forward to this training. I appreciate any training I can get!) But here's Problem #2: as we turned the corner to the church where it was going to be held, we see a gorilla. Yes, yes...a man wearing a gorilla costume was on the corner holding up a sign for The CORE and doing a little jig. My boss Charlie was like, "Oh no, it is TOO early in the morning for THAT!" which I thought was hilarious and I promptly started laughing my head off. We turn another corner to park and there is ANOTHER gorilla holding a banana and just staring at our car. This increased my laughter. Is this normal for youth worker days??

The training was AWESOME. It was three sessions long. Our speaker's name was Brock Morgan. He's a youth pastor at Bayside Church. (his pix is above) But to start things off (remember this is STILL really early in the morning) he has an activity to "break the ice". Hence, we come to Problem #3.

"Ok guys! Grab a sheet here and you have five minues! GO!"

The 5 of us grab a sheet and realize it is a mini-Olympics type game. You and your co-workers have to do activities like the "Bumsled" where you sit on the floor, wrap your legs around the person in front of you, and then shimmy on your bum forward 10 feet. HUH? Or you can pretend to be an ice skater and the other workers give you scores. Or stand on your chairs and sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs. There were tons of options.

Erica quickly excused herself to go to the restroom. Charlie, Clint, Michelle, and I just sat there watching 150 other people start shimmying, doing triple lutzes, and singing like crazy all over the room. We looked at each other like, "Um....what is going on?!" Clint leaned in and asked, "So...are WE the tools? Or is everyone else here the tools?" We figured it was probably us, but oh well.

Other than those 3 problems, it was a great day. Hope yours was, too.

No comments: