Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Carmel Mission


Isn't vacation wonderful? I have enjoyed the last week not working and just resting. One of the fun things I have done during vacation was go to Carmel. What a cute place. If you haven't been yet, please go check it out some day. It's great to putz around Ocean Avenue, window-shop, eat yummy food, and walk down to the beach.

One of the things I wanted to visit when I was there was the Old Carmel Mission. I had heard about how beautiful it was from friends, so I was looking forward to checking it out. I walked around the grounds (gorgeous!), the cemetery (weirded me out a bit), and finally the huge basilica.

I don't know about you guys, but that is always my highlight when I visit a chapel, church, or cathedral. I just like to sit in the pews. Just sit. Listen to the quiet. Glance at all the paintings and/or stained glass windows. Be still. Not talk or move or think. It's very peaceful and my heart is moved every time.

It makes me wish I had a room like that in my house. A separate place to go and sit in the quiet with no distractions. My own little "basilica". Get away from the loudness and busy-ness of life. Just a place to meet with God in quietness and stillness. Wouldn't that be great? They should build houses with that new feature: "New on the market! 3 bedroom, 1 and 1/2 bath, living and dining rooms, big backyard, and your very own 'Sacred Space' room!"

I'd be stoked. =)

3 comments:

Smarshie said...

Spammers are lame...

- Smarshie =)

Thegoodz said...

Sarah,
Enjoy your first day at twin lakes! I can't wait to hear of God's workings through you.
Sg

caramac said...

Smarshie-
Someday I'll build you a bascilia in heaven, or on my ministry salary...whatever comes first. love you. see you this weekend!