Tuesday, March 29, 2011

thank you, sun!

Oh my lord, I feel alive again.

What is it about the sun that brings me joy? I love the feel of it on my face. I like the brightness it adds to daytime. I like seeing flowers and trees twist their way towards its rays. I love the heat it brings. I love how everyone's moods seem better when it's sunny. Life doesn't seem as dreary or blue.

If you live in this area, you've no doubt experienced the crazy rain storms lately. On top of all the rain, I live in the mountains so we've had 2 weeks of flooding, trees falling, power outages, closed roads (and closed freeways), landslides (and rockslides), and more.

But today...the sun came out.

Bliss.

I went for a walk after work with three friends. We walked by the ocean for an hour and a half. We soaked in the sun. We had a spring in our step. We felt the sun on us and the wind blowing through our hair. We grinned like idiots the entire time. We laughed and talked freely about anything, everything, and nothing. We saw dogs, cyclists, joggers, rollerskaters, skateboarders, surfers, boogie boarders, birds, seals, families, kids. It was like the whole town came out from under a damp, dark rock and wanted to be in the light. To enjoy the sun, fresh air, and beauty around us.

I love you, sun. I also loved watching you set behind the ocean this evening. Sometimes I have to pinch myself. Do I really live here?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just as the sunshine made your day sweeter, I was reminded by your post of how the Son of God makes life sweeter. Do my circumstances change/improve when I turn to Christ? Not necessarily. But I find comfort in whatever I'm facing. "For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ..." (2 Cor. 4: 6-9).

Your post was a great reminder to me to turn to the perfect Son of God who died for every single one of my sins, and in His light, see my circumstances with an eternal perspective, rejoicing in the day He has given me and grateful for His grace in my life!

Smarshie said...

Yes Amy, I totally agree with you. I have often talked with people about the similarities of the sun and the Son. =)