Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Advent Conspiracy

This video was made last year (2008) and completely changed the way I view Christmas. (BTW, I think it is amazing that a VIDEO can change ones mindset about something)



It was made by an organization called Advent Conspiracy. This is from their website:

"The story of Christ's birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love.

So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists.

And when it's all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas?

What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?

Welcome to Advent Conspiracy."

WORSHIP FULLY
SPEND LESS
GIVE MORE
LOVE ALL


I am so blessed. I have everything I need. A place to live. Food. Clothing. A job. Income. Health insurance. A car. I even have many things I don't need, but want. This video reminds me that there are so many people in the world who don't have things I take for granted - like clean water. What if I spent less on Christmas and spent more on showing God's love to others? What if for Christmas, instead of gifts, I asked for money to be donated to Compassion International or World Vision? And instead of stressing about gifts and shopping, I focused more on spending TIME with the ones I love? And spent the most time focusing on the ONE for whom we celebrate this holiday?

What a conspiracy.

2 comments:

Haley said...

Love that you've discovered this! There's a book that goes with it, and all the proceeds of the book are donated, I think to Living Waters.

We are doing this at my church and it's been awesome!

Love you Smarsh!

Smarshie said...

That's so cool your church has been doing that. I think I want to do it with the college group next Christmas. I LOVE it!