Monday, April 14, 2008

Sarah's Top 10 Signs She's Getting Old

10. I have been buying things for "back-up". For example, I have a tube of toothpaste or bottle of shampoo in my bathroom. But I'll be at the store and will buy an extra tube or bottle to keep as "back-up" for when the first ones run out. And I do that with multiple toiletries. Seriously, who DOES that!?! (moms and grandmas, right?)

9. When some jr. high/high school students cut across the street (not at a stop light) and I hit my brakes, I mutter under my breath about the "younger generation".

8. I am constantly forgetting things. They say memory is the first thing to go...

7. I need at least 8 hours of sleep every night. But I aim for 10.

6. Sometimes when I get out of bed in the morning, my joints are noisy and creak-y.

5. I talk to our house cat. (Oh God, help me)

4. My college students have their 19th and 20th birthdays and I can't even remember my own. They seem like eons ago.

3. I recently discovered 2 gray hairs. Nooooooooooo! Those babies were ripped out right away.

2. Someone asks for the time and five people nearby pull out their cell phones to check. Suddenly, I feel so old to still be wearing a watch.

and last but not least

1. At the Paramore/Jimmy Eat World concert last week, it was too loud for me. And I didn't have any earplugs. So I made a pair myself out of toilet paper. I looked ridiculous.

Anyone else feelin' old? Do you resonate with anything on the list? Are there any of your own you would add?

6 comments:

NixonsMamma said...

Amen sista!!!
Loved your list! hahahaaa! :)
I was laughing out loud in the beginning, then I realized I'M GETTING OLD TOO... then it was quiet. :)

I would add...

I know I'm getting old because I listen to AM Radio (that used to bore the heck out of me!)

And, I cut coupons, like my Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Smarshie! That picture might be the best thing I've seen in a long time. You are too much!

Jenners

Anonymous said...

I feel old everyday. You ask a HIGH SCHOOL student what is old...they say 30! just wait...

You know its really bad when you see an 80s hair band (bon jovi) and can sing ALL the old songs. I will blame it on the sista who is 6 yrs older. :)

Marsh...you are not alone!

mel

Amy said...

I LOVE #10. I mean I actually enjoy buying the "back-up." I say to myself, "Self, you are being so responsible right now!" HA! I'm an old fart!

Amanda said...

10. I'm horrible about "back-up" buying! I seriously have 2 extra shampoos for Anoe & 2 sets of shampoo and conditioner for Alexis and myself. I won't even tell you how many tubes of toothpaste I have!
9. I'm constantly telling Alexis "Back in my day..." about everything! From the clothes she wears to the kids that are jaywalking!
8. If I don't write it down I will so forget it!
7.I'm actually OK if I can get at least 6 hours of sleep a night.
4. I'm really not sure I even had a 19th or 20th birthday at this point in life!

Something else that made me feel old the other day! We were at the Rangers game and the sun was setting so I took off my sunglasses and put on my regular glasses so I can see when it's dark, and one of the little boys that was with us said "You wear glasses?" and he had the craziest look on his face! He even told Alexis that the only person he knows that has to wear glasses when it gets dark is in grandmother!

Yeah I felt pretty darn old then.

Smarshie said...

Tira, AM radio - classic!! That is so true.

Jenners, I'm glad you liked the picture. I got the weirdest looks all night. But I'm also realizing that when you get older, you just don't care anymore. =)

Mel, thank you again for the Bon Jovi song. That was so rad!

Amy, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one buying "back-up". And I will admit...it makes me feel responsible, too.

Amanda, I'm completely with you when it comes to having to write everything down. If I don't write it down on paper (or on my hand) or call myself and leave a message, I KNOW I will forget. Sometimes I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo.