Friday, November 30, 2007

Baking Day!

Every year at Christmas-time, my mamacita spends a whole day baking. It's tradition. My sisters and I have grown up looking forward to the goodies that result from such a day: brownies made from scratch (with home-made frosting on top), almond rocha, chocolate chip bread, sugar cookie cut-outs in Christmas shapes, banana bread, and much more. YUM!!

Well, this year I had the opportunity to actually join her for Baking Day! Myself and my sister, Liz. We spent hours poring over the recipies, whipping up the batter, frosting cookies, and I think I can safely say my mom's Cuisinart and I are now BFF's.

Pounds of sugar, flour, butter, and chocolate later...SUCCESS! Christmas treats galore! At one point during the baking process, I started thinking (probably a little too deep for baking time, but oh well): it felt like my mom was passing down all her secret holiday recipies down to the next generation. And now my sisters and I will be able to make these same treats every Christmas time for our loved ones. And the tradition will continue.

First knitting, now this. When did I get so domesticated? =)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love to bake! I was asked a couple of months ago to bake a cake for a church function. At first I was like yeah I guess. Maybe I'll just go to HEB and buy one. But I ended up making one at home. I'm so glad I did. It gave me the time to pray for the people that would be eating it. I really enjoyed it and I found out it's an awesome way for me to work off some stress! Now I look for reasons to bake. I love pouring all my prayers for someone into whatever I'm baking for them. I'm usually pretty shy so I can't just pray for someone to their face.