Wednesday, October 31, 2007

5.6 earthquake!

Last night a little after 8 p.m. I was in my room downloading some music onto my ipod, and all of a sudden it started slowly shaking. I'm kind of used to earthquakes, so I thought it might be a small one and I'd just sit it out.

But then it kept GOING. And it was getting stronger and scarier. So I jumped up from my seat and ran to my doorway (my elementary teachers taught me well). And then I realized that I had some "breakable" stuff hanging on my walls - a glass flower holder, a frame, etc. So I ran over and was holding them in place while it continued. That was probably dumb, but oh well.

I felt like it went on forever. Finally, it started to slow down and then stopped. It was probably 15-20 seconds but felt much longer. I ran downstairs to see if anyone else was home. My roomate Jessica and her sister Heather were there and we all started squealing. "THAT WAS CRAZY!!" They said they ran to a doorway, too and just watched the house shake.

We got online and found out it was a 5.6 based out of San Jose area. That's pretty darn big! Luckily, no one was injured from it and no major damage anywhere. Just a bunch of people now sharing stories about how it's felt like a long time since we've had a big one, it reminded us of the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake, etc.

Shake, rattle, and roll, baby!!

No comments: