Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I love camp



Ok, so I have been working as the intern at a high school camp since January. Up till June, most everything we worked on was to prepare for this summer. And now summer is here and I have realized the ever-lasting truth:

I love camp.

I grew up going to camp and I was a counselor for three summers in college at a camp for 4th-8th graders. When I finished my last summer in 2000, I thought that was it. I had a blast, but it didn't look likely that I would ever work at a summer camp again.

Woohoo, I am so glad I was wrong. It has been a great summer so far. We are in week 5 out of 7. I have been blessed by so many things. I'll highlight three.

1) I pickin' love our staff. Could they be cooler?! I think camp ministry attracts the funnest (not a word, but oh well), friendliest, and kindest people who also just so happen to LOVE Jesus as well. How amazing to be surrounded by them for the summer.

2) Who knew that I would enjoy high schoolers so much? I have never worked with that age group before now. I only worked with elementary age kids. Little ones are fab, but I am really liking high schoolers. I appreciate their passion, the questions and doubting of their faith, the way they love to show off for each other and flirt, and the depth they can bring in conversations.

3) I love the ministry here Each week between 75-200 kids come with burdens, heartache, and the need for love and acceptance. And throughout the week, I can sense the Lord moving in their lives, showing them how much He desperately loves them and will always be there for them. Yeah, they still have to go home to their hard lives, but they hopefully go home closer to God than when they came. And with a deeper understanding of how they are cherished by the One who made them and cares for them so deeply.

I thank God for bringing me to this place and allowing me to be a small part of what He is doing here. I wish summer was longer. It has gone by too fast.

Who thought up the concept of camp? Whoever they are...they are beyond cool. I mean, WAY beyond. There's not even a WORD that describes them, that's how cool they are.

No comments: