Tuesday, April 03, 2012

The Artist

I finally saw the movie "The Artist" tonight. It won the Oscar for best picture of the year and its main man, Jean Dujardin, won for best actor.

Out of all the Best Picture nominees from 2011, I have only seen four: The Artist, Moneyball, Hugo, and The Help. I want to see the others (War Horse, Midnight in Paris, The Descendants, and The Tree of Life) before I say which is my fav.

But I can say I liked The Artist. I didn't love it, but it was good and I'd recommend as a rental. I don't think it's one you need pay $10.50 for and see it on the big screen.

To be honest, I kept having flashbacks to "Singing In The Rain". It takes place in the same era - the late 1920's when movies went from silent to "talkies". Actors are trying to transition from hamming it up on the screen to speaking the dialogue. Add to this there was some dancing at the end, and I kept expecting Gene Kelly to come (computer generated-ly) skipping out from behind a curtain and join the main actor and actress in a rousing edition of "Good Morning".

P.S. If you've seen the movie, can we agree the dog stole the show?

No comments: