Saturday, October 22, 2011

a swim and a smile

Last year I swam laps at our community pool every Saturday. It was like clockwork. I woke up, made pancakes, put on the sunscreen, and headed over to the pool.

Recently, I have slacked. I can't remember the last time I went swimming. So when I heard today was going to be sunny and in the 80's, I decided to jump back in.

It was glorious.

As I was swimming laps and then laying out afterwards, I relished the fact that it was this warm and lovely in late October. I know the cold weather and rain storms will be here soon, but I am going to enjoy these sunny days as long as possible.

Anyway, something that stood out to me at the pool was how many dads were there with their kids. I love seeing fathers play with their children. I saw them playing Marco Polo, having their kids jump into the water from their shoulders, and swimming around with two or three toddlers clinging to their necks. And they were having a ball - both the dads and the kids. The moms were also in the pool, cheering them on.

It made me smile.

I think I really needed to see that today. Like I mentioned in the previous post, my friend's divorce is weighing heavily on my heart. I needed to be reminded that there are many fathers out there who love their kids. Who are good husbands and dads. Who put their family above their own desires. Who will never abandon them. Who will stay and continue to love, even when it's hard.

It was a good day.

No comments: