Friday, April 15, 2011

i have a new intern

May I introduce you to my new college ministry partner - Intern Scott!


Intern Scott arrived last Saturday night. This past week has been super busy. I've been showing him around town, introducing him to church staff and all the crazy college students, going over what his job looks like and how the group runs, etc. It's been such a good week. Here are some things he's said:

* "Sarah, I heard two students say 'gnarly' in a sentence. Is that a normal word to use in conversation around here?"

* "I LOVE that you guys don't have a Wal-Mart. I can't stand Wal-Mart! They are EVERYWHERE in the midwest and south. They come into towns and drive all other businesses away. And then people become dependent on them, because it's the only place in town where you can get anything and it's cheap. And then people just become lazy shoppers..."

* "I LOVE that you guys are so health-conscious in California. Back home, if I asked for 'grass-fed beef', they looked at me like a lunatic."

* "Do I want to try surfing? Well, there's not too many things in life I DON'T want to try. Although you might want to take back your offer once you get in the water with me. Because I have a feeling I'm going to be really bad."

Wednesday night was his first official night at the college group and he was awesome. I didn't have to babysit him or hold his hand. He just went up to students and started talking and hanging out with them. He can totally hold his own. I love it! We put him on the "hot seat" where students could ask him any question, and he answered them with ease and humor.

And then there's the cool fact that he and I already have a good rapport with each other. That's super important because I work with my intern pretty closely so I need someone I get along with. When we interviewed him, I could tell we would get along. So far we have discovered we both love:

-pop culture
-much of the same music
-The Office, 30 Rock, and Community
-Harry Potter (He's already been to the theme park in Orlando. Jealous!)
-talking about/dissecting the bible
-church ministry
-as mentioned before, a distaste for big chain companies
-quoting movies (we've written a million Tommy Boy quotes on my door at work)
-reading (we're going to recommend and exchange books)
-Disneyland/Disneyworld

This is just a huge answer to prayer. I have been leading the group by myself for 15 months (since my last intern left). It's been hard. I've been way too busy. I hadn't been able to find anyone. And now finally someone is here. And even though it's only been a week, I am so thankful the Lord brought Scott to us.

Off to sleep for 14 hours straight. It's been a long week.

No comments: