Friday, March 04, 2011

a new experiment

I have been trying out a new experiment. It's something fun I've been doing the past few weeks. It's called "How's Your Day Going?"

I'm noticing there is not enough human face-to-face communication going on in this world. And human contact and communication are vital. So I decided I was going to start intentionally asking people (strangers) about their day.

The grocer, scanning items.
The Starbucks barista.
The guy behind the counter at the post office.
The lady in front of me in line at the bank.
The guy behind my car pumping gas into his car.
The waitress who comes to take our order.
Whoever.

Oh my gosh, you guys. I love it. I'm never gonna stop. It has been so cool. I love seeing people's expressions when I ask them "How's your day going?" with a smile. Usually their first look is surprise. No one does that sort of thing. At least strangers don't. Their second look is usually pleased. Someone they don't even know wants to know how they're doing. Their third look is usually thoughtful. Like, "How AM I actually doing today??" And then they answer.

"Ya know, it's actually been a good day so far!"
"Ehhh, it's going ok. Kind of crazy but oh well. Those days happen."
"Pretty good. How about you?"
"I'm super tired but nothing a little coffee can't help." *laugh*

Sometimes a conversation continues from that point, other times it's left at that and we go our separate ways. But dude, I dig it. I want to start a "How's Your Day Going?" revolution.

You should try it and see what reactions you get. Let me know.

3 comments:

Matt said...

You are so cool, you know that? I love you!

Emily said...

Ha ha!!! Apparently Matt's account was logged in when I posted that comment. It comes from me, not from him. Though I know he thinks you're cool, too. =)

Smarshie said...

Haha! When I first saw it, I was like "Who's Matt? And he loves me?" But knowing it was you makes much more sense. =) I love you, too, friend!