Wednesday, October 27, 2010

GLEE-cap #5

I didn't think I was going to like this week's GLEE episode for two reasons. First, it was all about the Rocky Horror Picture Show. To call this musical "risque" is an understatement. I watched the movie a month or two ago when I heard GLEE was going to do an episode on it. I would recommend it to NO ONE. There was not one single redeemable thing in the entire 2 hours. I completely regret watching it. If you're curious about it, I would just read the film's synopsis on Wikipedia. It gives you an idea of what it's all about and won't leave your eyeballs despising you.

The second reason I didn't think I'd like the episode was it was another "tribute" ep. In the past, the tribute ones have no plot. They're basically an excuse to just sing songs from the artist they admire. Between these two reasons, I went into the night feeling very unsure about it. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked the episode. It wasn't my favorite or anything. But I overall enjoyed it. The dialogue, the tamer version of the songs, the interaction between the characters...all good.

TOP TEN QUOTES/MOMENTS FROM "ROCKY HORROR GLEE SHOW"

10) "I have no idea what's going on in this script. And it's not in a cool 'Inception' kind of way." -Finn

9) I loved Sue lighting her carved pumpkin and then slowly looking up (menacingly) at the 2 news-men in her office.

8) "Dammit, Janet" in the choir room. Mercedes, Kurt, and Quinn are hilarious in the background of Rachel and Finn singing to each other. There's a part where they pretend to barf when Rachel sings something cutesy. I also love it when Finn spins her around. Wheeee!

7) "Ain't no carpool lane to sexy." -Sam, lifting up his shirt to show his ab-ulous stomach to Finn

"Damn straight," -Artie, lifting a tiny 3 pound weight.

6) When Sue walks by and sees Dr. Carl (Uncle Jesse) and Emma showing each other their costumes for Halloween.

"Oh, I'm sorry, and you are...?" -Dr. Carl
*Sue not shaking his hand but narrowing her eyes at him*

5) "When the kids don't have arts, they turn to drugs. And with drugs comes tooth loss." -Sue

4) Mercedes killed her song during the dress rehearsal! So good! She was fierce. And her voice is such a powerhouse. If it's a requirement for Rachel to get one solo per episode, the same should be for Mercedes.

3) Let's take a moment to acknowledge Emma's rendition of "Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me" (We haven't heard Emma sing since "I Could Have Danced All Night" last season). Ok now that that's done, let's take some time to acknowledge Mr. Schuester's abs. When did GLEE become so ab-tastic?! I was p.o.'d that Mr. Schue was having the GLEE kids do Rocky Horror for his own selfish purposes and that he kept chasing Emma, even when he told Uncle Jesse he wouldn't. But my anger seemed to dissipate during that song. What does that say about me? Am I shallow? Or do I just appreciate God's beauty? ;-)

2) Favorite quote of the night...nay, the whole season so far:

"Give me some chocolate or I will cut you." -Becky to Mr. Schue in Sue's office

1) "Time Warp"! Love the song, the costumes, the dancing. Perfect way to end the episode. "It's just a jump to the left..."

Two more quick things before I sign off. GLEE writers, thank you for stating that Rocky Horror Picture Show is not appropriate for high schoolers. GLEE is so influential, and they definitely cross lines. But I finally felt like they used their power for good. I don't think anyone should watch musicals like RHPS, especially young'ens. I'm glad they talked about that.

And Mr. Schuester, thank you for finally realizing you're being lame. Thank you for canceling the show and for telling Emma you're going to back off. Proud of you, Schue.

(P.S. - we have to wait 2 weeks AGAIN until another GLEE episode?! Sad. However, Nov. 9th episode is the one my youngest sister is in. She does background work down in LA and sent me pictures from this ep. She is sitting at a table in the school courtyard while Puck sings "One Love" by Bob Marley. And then Puck tells Artie the two of them should double date with Brittany and Santana. If you know my sis, look for her in that scene in 2 weeks!)

What did you think of the Rocky Horror Glee Show?

No comments: