Thursday, June 17, 2010

listening, reading, watching

Hello readers and friends! I thought it would be fun to do another rendition of "listening, reading, watching". I'll share mine and then I would LOVE to hear yours!

Listening: Katy Perry's "California Gurls". It's funny that Katy was in my last post because I cannot get this song out of my head. They play it on the radio all the time and it's so dang catchy. West Coast REPRESENT!!

Reading: I just finished "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert (which I loved! go read it if you haven't!) and was looking for a new book. And I found one. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. I actually first heard about this from my youngest sister, Emily. Em is down in LA trying to break into showbiz. She's been an extra in a bunch of TV shows and movies. She said she was getting fit for a really great Depression-era costume for a movie called "Water For Elephants", based on a book. It stars Robert Pattinson (Twilight boy) and Reese Witherspoon.

I was at our used bookstore last week and I saw it on sale so I bought it. It's really good! It takes place in the early 1930's. The main character is named Jacob and he is about to graduate from Cornell University with his Masters in veterinarian sciences. Right before finals, he finds out both his parents have been killed in an automobile accident. He leaves school in shock and grief and ends up jumping a train. He doesn't realize he has just jumped a traveling circus train. Through a series of events, he ends up being hired as the caretaker for all the animals in the circus (lions, giraffes, polar bear, monkeys, and they finally get an elephant). He falls in love with a female performer (who will be Reese Witherspoon's character) but she is married to one of the ringmasters who of course is a jerk.

Just a note to those who want to read this. I'm halfway through and I do recommend it, but I have to warn you that there's some sex stuff in there that's pretty graphic. I'm sure the author just wanted to be "edgy" (ie. "There are freaks in the circus who do crazy stuff!") but I really don't like it in there. The book would be just as good, if not better, without all that. But if can overlook those scenes, then you should like it. It's very engaging and hard to put down. I love books like that.

Watching: 2010 World Cup

GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!

I have definitely caught World Cup fever. I get mad that I have to go to work when all I want to do is watch soccer all day. And I'm not even a soccer fan! But I dunno, the World Cup sucks me in. It's fun seeing all the countries playing each other. Speaking of which, how cool is it that we get the Olympics AND the World Cup in the same year!?!

So I have a confession. After watching the Argentina vs. South Korea game, I have a crush on a Mr. Gonzalo Higuaín. He is a forward on the Argentinian team and um, well, VERY easy on the eye. Not to mention he scored 3 out of their 4 goals - and 2 of them were head hits! (which I learned are called "hat-tricks", when you head-butt the ball into the goal) Marry me?

What are YOU listening to, reading, and/or watching? I'm always looking for new ideas for summer.

2 comments:

Jody said...

2 things: Soccer players can be CUTE! And I read Water for Elephants and had to skim over the raunchy parts often, but I loved the book!

WackyMamma said...

listening to: Trevor Davis Band/Dr Sea Horse (local SD band... just moved up to WA)

reading: Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Trip (yes terrible 3's have struck our home! haha.)

watching: So You Think You Can Dance-- my fave show ever! :) i wait all year for it! :)