Thursday, July 20, 2006

"Hellooooo...McFly!!!!"



Do you ever watch movies as adults and catch so much that you didn't as a kid? For example, take the movie Grease. I watched it as a kid and was like, "Wheee!!! Singing and dancing! I love it!" And then you watch it as an adult and you think, "Dang, there is so much sexual innuendo." It's just so funny that we catch things or realize things when we watch movies as adults.

When was the last time you watched Back to the Future? For me, I think it was jr. high or early high school. I remember loving it and watching it a ton of times. Last night for college group, we had an Outdoor Movie Night and we all piled out into the church parking lot with couches, blankets, pillows, etc.

We had originally thought we'd show Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but then I got on the internet and realized that there is tons of swearing in it. I don't remember that! I watched that movie when I was younger and maybe I just didn't pick up on it. But now in ministry, I have to be super careful what we show. So then we moved on to So I Married An Axe Murderer. But AGAIN I had to veto the idea because of the language.

So I just went to Blockbuster and started scanning the shelves for something that would be appropriate but still fun. I was tempted to get Pride and Prejudice or Anne of Green Gables as a joke for our college guys, but I resisted that urge. My eyes hit Back to the Future. Sweet! I nabbed it.

Here are some things I picked up last night while watching it:

* Michael J. Fox is SHORT!! I remember thinking he was short when I saw it as a kid, but now it struck me how short he really is. When Bif the bully stands up next to Marty, he just towers over him.

* Billy Zane plays one of Bif's cronies. Billy Zane! The jerk fiancee from Titanic.

* It never struck me as weird/a bit wrong that Marty's mom hits on him...until last night. He goes back to 1955 and his mom likes him and even kisses him in the car at the dance. Ewwww!!

* Oh the 80's with acid washed jeans, skateboards, Pepsi Free and Tab, and the Felix the Cat clocks with eyes that go back and forth.

* There is swearing in this flick. I don't remember that when I was a kid, but I sure caught it last night. The first time Doc Brown dropped the "sh" bomb, I shouted out, "SORRY 'BOUT THAT!" to everyone. And then it became this big joke. Anytime a character in the movie swore, all the students would look at me and yell, "SARAH!!" as if it was my fault. It was awesome.

* This movie is not very long. I think I am getting so used to movies nowadays that are 2 or 2 and 1/2 hours long. Back in the 80's movies were 90-100 minutes, bam, you're done.

* "1.21 jigawatts!!!" --I still love that line. Oh and the part where George McFly goes to the diner to ask Lorraine to the dance and he says, "I'm your density!" instead of "destiny". I never understood that when I was younger but I LOVED it last night.

* This movie is GOOD. A classic. Michael J. Fox (as short as he was) in his prime.

No comments: