Thursday, December 08, 2005

Dang you, My Space!!!

I can't believe it. I have become "one of them". I have done something I said I would not do. I have a My Space account!

I used to make fun of My Space. It used to be a joke. Like I'd play dumb: "What's My Space?" when everyone, their mom, and their dog was obsessed with checking their accounts every other minute of the day. It became very clear to me this past summer at Pondy that young people (esp. high school and college-agers) have gotten into this phenomenon and have no intention of stopping the insanity. So, I was like, "Well, I'M not going to get an account. I'm going to stand strong!!"

*sigh*

That was then. With my new job working with college students, my boss said I should get an account to see what the students are dealing with. He was actually ENCOURAGING me to get one! I gave a pitiful argument why I should stay strong, it's the principle of the thing, etc, but all my reasons seemed lame. He's right. Students put stuff on their My Space that they would never say to me or anyone else in person. It lets us into their world.

So, last week...I caved. I joined the cult. I do it reluctantly, though. Althought it is very eye-opening for me to see my students' issues and struggles, I wish there was another way. The internet seems so impersonal. But if this is how our world is doing things now, I better jump on the bandwagon. DANG YOU, MY SPACE!!

(hey, wanna be "Friends"?)

1 comment:

caramac said...

it's okay...we go down together....me, for my middle school friends, and you for your college friends. The problem is, no one believes us.....
see you in a couple weeks!!! love cara:)