Monday, October 03, 2005

Smell the autumn


Sometimes I think summer is my favorite season. Other times I think, "Maybe my favorite season is spring?" But no, I have come to realize that autumn is my favorite season of them all. And it is upon us now. I can smell it.

There are so many things I love about autumn. The sunshine with blue skies, the brisk-cold-fresh air, pumpkin patches, the wind blowing in the trees, long walks outside, chilly nights where you want to bundle up and make hot chocolate, pumpkin scones (I am a sucker for them and they have just started making their appearance, which makes me very happpy), the feeling of harvest...but the thing I love MOST about autumn is the leaves.

Ahhh, the autumn leaves. Trees that I have seen with green leaves for 6 months or so are beginning their ritual color-change. Suddenly, I am noticing the bright reds, oranges, browns, and yellows emerging. Bright, vibrant colors just shouting out at us to have a look. Then, the ritual falling from the tree. Just the other day I stopped and watched as the wind blew and hundreds of brightly colored leaves fell gracefully to the ground. The sunlight would catch them as they twirled around each other. Amazing.

Do you remember as a kid, walking home from school and walking on all the leaves you could? There was something deeply satisfying in that CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH sound. I was always bummed if I stepped on a leaf and it was silent. No, no, no, the crunchy ones were the best.

So, needless to say, I am pretty stoked that autumn is here. And to take full advantage of it, I'm off for a bike ride so I can continue to enjoy the sunshine, fresh air, and colorful leaves.

Smell the autumn, my friends. It's a beautiful thing.

No comments: